Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Be still and know that I am God.
It’s quiet right now. I mean really quiet. No dogs are barking, no kids are laughing, or crying, or screaming.  And I’m alone. Quiet. Yet those are when the thoughts start flooding my mind. “Did I do enough?” Am I schooling my children correctly? Are they learning? Will they become mature thriving adults. Are they happy? One thought washes over the next – yet in the midst of the loudness of my mind, I hear – Be still and know that I am God. Slowly, those cascading thoughts begin to cease, one by one… Be still and know that I am God.  Deep breath, “Okay, Lord. Help me to be still and know that You are God.”  What does that even mean? Be still – quiet, restful, slow, notice the little things, no expectations given or taken. Just quiet.  No noise. Still.
 Okay Lord, I am still, quiet, resting… And know that I am God. Tears fill my eyes. Know that I am God. A knowingness stills across my heart. God knows all my fears, all my worries, every bill that piles up, every argument I’ve had, every frustration, every triumph big or little. He knows the good moments, when my child says ‘I love you mom’ or when everyone gets ready for church on time with no stress. All.of.it. He knows and He is God of every moment.  I’m letting that sink in - He is God of every moment.  I need to know in my mind and heart that He is God. I need to let go of all that I allow to entangle me and wind me up in knots. He is God. Yet, He is my God. My God – knows me intimately.

So, now I sit at His feet, basking in His goodness, in His light, in His love. Despite the whirlwind that is swirling all around me – He is my anchor, my guide, my quiet.  And I can trust Him and can say to my beating often times worrisome heart – Be still and know that He is God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment